Initially a farm («Mas de Gaillard») then later became a castle («Château des Alpilles»). The history of this property spans several centuries back as far as memory goes, legend has it that this rural land belonged to a 13th century knight. Although nothing certain can be found to confirm this myth, a cypress tree several hundred of years old attests to the fact that this particular domain dates, back to medieval times. Various families in succession inhabited the land.
Charles Gaillard inherited the domain in the seventeenth century, hence, no doubts, the ancient name «Mas de Gaillard». A hundred years later, it was the Blain Family’s turn to take possession of the land, with them, the phrase «la vie de château».( meaning castle life in all its splendour) took on full meaning. Indeed, towards 1825, Pierre-Paul Blain had an imposing manor house constructed close to the old Farmhouse, the «Mas», and surrounded by numerous species of trees, both regional and exotic, fountains ad later still, a chapel. The family resided there often and with the help of one of its members, Amédée Pichot, all of the top political and literary figures of figures of Paris - Guizot, Lamartine, Thiers ... - were frequent, delighted visitors to the place.
However, over time, their fortunes dwindled and the castle fell somewhat into disrepair. Thus, by the time the Bon family took over in 1979, it was a dilapidated, Rip Van Winkle property slumbering in its verdant setting.
Utterly charmed by the house and park, with its rich and varied history, Francoise Bon and her daughter Catherine set about restoring and embellishing it ... to become the magnificient «Château des Alpilles» offered up for your pleasure and enjoyment, today.
The history of this property spans several centuries back as far as memory goes,
legend has it that this rural land belonged to a 13th century knight.